Islamic History Month Canada 2022 Theme: Multicultural Flavours of Muslim CuisineWritten by Islamic History Month Canada
Dear Community: Peace be with you.
On behalf of the Islamic History Month Canada (IHMC) board, I am excited to share the theme we have chosen for 2022 Islamic History Month Canada October 2022: ‘Multicultural Flavours of Muslim Cuisine’. The objectives are to share the culinary contributions of Muslims to health, wellness, social peace and societal harmony.
To paraphrase the essence of Prophet Muhammad’s صلى الله عليه وسلم Hadith: “There are blessings and abundance in sharing of food” and “A Muslim is not one who sleeps with a full stomach, while their neighbours sleep hungry”.
The following are some ideas around which you can organize and celebrate IHMC 2022:
- Share the diversity of Muslim cuisine by organizing a Food Fest in collaboration with local Muslim businesses.
- Gather donation of non-perishables healthy food items within the community for food banks.
- Organize food packages for distribution.
- Public education on the Halal diet. Share knowledge of the ethics and etiquettes of food preparation and consumption.
- Showcase culture of hospitality and sharing; rights of guest and neighbours.
- Talks on the benefits of the fruits and honey mentioned in the Qur’an.
- Gather multicultural recipes to share with the public.
You can also access our organizing guide, a resource list of speakers and more ideas on the IHMC website: https://www.islamichistorymonth.ca/
After more than two years of online IHMC activities, this year let us reconnect with celebrations of sharing food, fun activities, education and showcase the rich heritage of Muslim Cuisine from the many Muslim cultures and enjoy their hospitality. A poster which can be used for advertising will follow shortly.
Chair, Islamic History Month Canada