Council of Imams of Ottawa-Gatineau Upcoming Eid Prayer Guidelines and Recommendations 2020Written by Council of Imams of Ottawa-Gatineau
If you are looking for information about which day and time your mosque is observing Eid Prayers, click here
All praise is for Allah Almighty. May the peace and blessing be upon the Messenger of Allah, his family, the faithful companions, and all those who follow them.
In light of the present lockdown, the restriction to assemble due to public safety and with the intention to raise the morale of our community The Council of Imams of Ottawa-Gatineau has decided to provide the community with some guidelines and recommendations regarding the upcoming Eid ul Fitr Prayer (Salah).
Offer Eid Salah at Home
The Council of Imams recommends offering Eid Salah together with only members of your own household. This is further emphasized when at least four male adult members live in one home. It is also permissible to make the prayer individually. Since the sermon is not a condition for the validity of the prayer, it is not obligatory to deliver the sermon, khutbah, which is normally done after the Eid Salah.
Please continue to adhere to public Health guidelines to limit activities (including Eid Salah and celebration) to members of your own household, as this remains important to limit the spread of COVID-19 and save lives. Physical distancing of at least two meters from non-household members should be maintained. Please use technology means to convey Eid greetings and to connect with others.
Note: the above ruling is specific to the current situation. If the current lockdown rules change nearer to the day of Eid, these guidelines will be revised. Furthermore, under normal circumstances, the Eid prayer should not be performed at home, rather it should be performed in a large congregation at the Masjid or other large Eid venues. Performance of the Eid Salah virtually under all circumstances is considered invalid.
Method of Performing Eid Salah
The Eid Salah is two normal rakaats (units of prayer) with extra takbirs (saying Allahu Akbar). Perhaps the two most common number of extra takbirs practiced are six (three in the first rakaat and three in the second) or twelve (seven in the first rakaat and five in the second). Both of these positions are correct and sound. One should adhere to that which they have learnt and are accustomed to.
First method: The Imam would begin the salah with the normal takbir. Thereafter he will make three extra takbirs (in the first rakat) which will be followed by surah al-Fatiha and a surah. The remaining of the Rakaat will be normal. When the Imam stands up for the second Rakaat, he will recite surah al-Fatiha and a surah first and make three additional takbeers thereafter, just before going into Ruku’. The remaining salah would be completed as normal.
Second method: The Imam would begin the salah with the normal takbir. Thereafter he will make seven extra takbirs (in the first rakat) which will be followed by surah al-Fatiha and a surah. The remaining of the Rakaat will be normal. When the Imam stands up for the second Rakaat, he will make five additional takbeers and thereafter recite surah al-Fatiha and a surah. The remaining salah would be completed as normal.
Additional Rulings Pertaining to Eid Prayer
- The beginning time for the Eid prayer is 20 minutes after sunrise and expires at Thuhar.
- There is no Athan or Iqaamah for the Eid Prayer
- There should be a short gap between the extra takbeers for the duration it would take to say subhan Allah three times.
- If any of the extra takbeers are forgetfully omitted or more than the prescribed number of takbeers are made by mistake then this will be overlooked and one will complete the Salah like normal without having to make the prostration of forgetfulness (sajdah al-sahw)
- Khutbah is not a prerequisite for the validity of Eid Salah.
Sunnahs and etiquettes of the Day of Eid
- Making the Takbeer (saying Allahu Akbar) in abundance from the night of Eid until the Eid Prayer.
- Du’a on the night of Eid.
- Paying the Sadaqat al-Fitr ($10.00 per person). It is also encouraged to give it in advance so that arrangements are made for it to reach the poor by Eid day.
- Taking a bath and using the miswak (tooth stick).
- It is Sunnah to eat dates prior to Eid prayer on Eid ul Fitr.
- Wearing one’s best clothes and apply scent.
- Expressing Gratitude to Allah and marking the day with happiness and joy.
- Donate charity and keep the poor and vulnerable in mind.
- The Sahabah (may Allah be pleased with them) would greet each other by saying, “Taqabbala Allahu Minnah wa Minkum” (May Allah accept from us and you) on the day of Eid. One may also say, “Eid Mubarak”.
- We ask Allah, Most Exalted, for acceptance and Make this upcoming Eid an immense source of blessings and relief for our entire community and globally.
Allah Almighty knows best.
The Council of Imams of Ottawa-Gatineau (CIOG)
Signed by the Council members (in alphabetical order):
- Imam Ahmed Limame – OIC Gatineau
- Imam Anver Malam – Jami Omar
- Imam Ismail Al-Batnuni – AMA (Masjid Al-Rahmah)
- Imam Mohammad Badat – Masjid Bilal
- Imam Muhammad Suliman – OMA
- Imam Mohsen El-Nadi – SNMC
- Imam Owais Tilly – Jami Omar
- Imam Samy Metwally – ISG
- Imam Sikander Hashmi – KMA
- Imam Zijad Delic – SNMC