Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization (OCISO) Communications Assistant for Refugee 613 (Summer Student Job)
Job Title: Communications Assistant
Term: Part-time – 30 hours/week, May – July 2018 (8 weeks)
Reports to: Communications Specialist, Refugee 613
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Application Deadline: May 21, 2018 by 5:00 p.m
Are you studying communications, journalism or public relations at university or college? Are you eager to use your skills to engage audiences for an important cause and make a difference in the world? We are looking for a creative, organized individual with a flair for writing on all platforms, but particularly social media. Refugee 613 needs you this summer!
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
About Refugee 613:
Refugee 613 is a coalition of citizens, settlement agencies, sponsorship groups and community partners working to provide refugees with the building blocks of successful integration: a warm welcome and access to key services, opportunities and support. As an independent, non-partisan, grassroots effort, we aim to build on Ottawa's settlement services by providing our partners and the public with information, connection and inspiration. OCISO is the host agency for Refugee 613.
The Communications Assistant will support Refugee 613’s social media channels and additional communications activities, dedicated to keeping Ottawa residents informed about refugee issues and inspiring them to become part of our community’s active welcome.
● Write and edit content for social media, newsletters and other platforms to inform community partners, private refugee sponsors and the general public
● Manage social media accounts, including planning, execution and analytics
● Support the execution of Refugee 613’s communications plan as needed
● Represent Refugee 613 to the highest standard online and in person
● Support the maintenance of the Refugee 613 website
● Administrative tasks as required, including meeting and event support
● Experience creating and editing videos an asset
● Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect approach
● Aged 15 to 30 years old
● Enrolled as a post-secondary student in the previous academic year and intending to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
● Enrolled in post-secondary or graduate social sciences degree or related field (journalism, communications, literature, public relations), and/or equivalent experience
● Demonstrated ability to write clear, engaging communications with excellent grammar and style (must provide samples)
● Highly motivated, creative and organized
● Experience managing content calendars
● Strong interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills
● Excellent verbal and written knowledge of English required; proficiency in French an asset
● Ability to work with a small, mission-driven team in a sensitive, respectful manner
● Experience in working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
● Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task and work independently
● Proficiency with the full MS Office Suite, Mail Chimp, WordPress, Hootsuite, Twitter, Facebook
Application Deadline: May 21, 2018 by 5:00 p.m.