COSTI Immigration Services Director of Refugee Services
COSTI Immigration Services is hiring a Director of Refugee Services in Toronto, Ontario.
The Director of Refugee Services for COSTI Immigration Services - a Canadian leader in settlement services - will develop, articulate and drive forward a shared mission and vision for the successful integration of newcomers. S/he will ensure that the needs of government-assisted refugees, privately sponsored refugees and refugee claimants are fully met and that best practices are developed and implemented to serve these groups. S/he will create and communicate strategic and operational goals, and will create a climate that encourages innovation and calculated risks.
The Director of Refugee Services has oversight of Client Support Services, the Ralph Chiodo Family Immigrant Reception Centre, and Hostel Services.
COSTI's Client Support Services program provides settlement support to government assisted refugees arriving in the greater Toronto area. The twelve-month case management service model provides clients with a wide range of settlement services and referrals, depending on their individual needs. The objective of the Client Support Services program is to help facilitate the integration and settlement process of newcomers. This program will enable clients to access government, health and community services independently.
The Ralph Chiodo Family Immigrant Reception Centre provides temporary accommodation and initial settlement services to government assisted refugees referred to COSTI by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, and refugee claimants through the City of Toronto Community and Neighbourhood Services.
COSTI’s Hostel Services program provides temporary accommodation, initial settlement services and support during the refugee claimant process for refugee claimants in the City of Toronto. Clients are referred to COSTI from the City of Toronto’s Shelter, Support and Housing Administration.
The Director of Refugee Services is part of the leadership team, reporting to the Executive Director of COSTI and working closely with the Executive Director and the other Directors to drive the agenda for the development and delivery of services for refugees. The position will provide leadership to a team of four managers.
The Director of Refugee Services will lead a team of managers and empower management and staff at all levels. S/he will develop systems and processes for evaluating outcomes, effectively steward resources to align them with priorities, create processes that are inclusive, and delegate effectively to ensure that the organization is performing at its full potential.
Other major duties:
- Coordinate proposal development and initiate funding opportunities with government partners.
- Develop and manage strong relationships between COSTI and others such as funders and community groups.
- Work with community groups to incorporate their support for the benefit of refugee clients.
- Develop and monitor refugee service budgets.
- Remain current on systemic issues affecting refugees and develop policy and advocacy positions to address same.
- Represent the organization at public forums, to the media and advocate.
- University degree or equivalent (e.g., BSW, MSW or degree in Immigrant Services) and a minimum of four years’ experience in a Social Service environment
- A demonstrated track record of success and progressively responsible people leadership roles in a large complex, diverse environment that is related to community services is essential.
- Experience in developing and administering human service programs. Has a deep understanding of the human service factor.
- Skilled in the development and management of budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively with community organizations and government.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to be effective at both leading and participating in a collaborative team setting.
- Strong knowledge of the immigrant service sector is ideal.
- Management experience in a unionized environment is an asset
- Experience in writing successful funding proposals is an asset.
- Superior communication skills and abilities; skilled at developing and maintaining relationships with stakeholders including government and community partners. Demonstrates political acuity in managing issues and relationships.
- Collaborative and able to influence: able to form partnerships with colleagues, government and social service agencies; continually looks for effective ways to influence and seek buy-in; actively seeks and acts on ideas/concerns.
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.
“We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.”